boarding passes, was American Airlines SABRE computer failure grounds planes
John Levine
2013-04-19 19:48:15 UTC
I think the idea that you use a hand-held device to display a QR code
that in turn must be read by a scanner is reversion to the bad old days
in which companies printed out reports from one computer system that had
to be re-keyed to update another computer system.
Uh, no. The scanner is validating the barcode, not rekeying it. This
among other things addresses the famous two boarding pass security
hole.
They make you show ID. Why not code the passage to the ID's serial number?
A) I can tell you from recent experience (yesterday) that when flying
within the Schengen area, the bar code on your boarding pass is the
only ID you need to get on the plane.

B) I don't know about you, but I don't think that requiring my
driver's license number for every flight reservation would be an
improvement. Particularly when I take an international trip in which
I'm not planning to drive and bring my passport but not my license.
--
Regards,
John Levine, ***@iecc.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
***@airinfo.aero, and see http://mtai.airinfo.aero for the FAQ and policies.
John Levine
2013-04-20 20:28:49 UTC
Airlines are required to have positive ID check for security and also
passenger manifest reasons. When a plane crashes, it needs to have done
due diligence to ensure that the person boarding has the name on the
ticket.
It varies. Like I said, in the Schengen area you don't need any ID at
all to fly, just a boarding pass.