Now Sabre joins in against AA
Graham Harrison
2011-01-06 11:47:25 UTC
http://www.sabretravelnetwork.com/home/news_events/media_statement_sabre_act
ions_regarding_american_airlines/

"Media Statement: Sabre Actions Regarding American Airlines

For a number of months, American Airlines has taken actions in an attempt to
impose a costly, unproven and unnecessary system on agencies and
corporations, including withholding fare content from Sabre. We believe
these actions are harmful to our agency and corporate customers, as well as
consumers, making it harder and more costly to comparison shop. Sabre is
taking actions to protect its interests and those of its customers by
supporting airlines who value the transparency and efficiency of the proven
system we provide."

What I fail to fully comprehend from the statement is whether this is the
GDS element of Sabre speaking or the hosting element. I think it's the GDS
but I don't find it 100% clear.
--
misc.travel.air-industry is a moderated newsgroup. Please mail messages to
***@airinfo.aero, and see http://mtai.airinfo.aero for the FAQ and policies.
JF Mezei
2011-01-06 14:17:16 UTC
Post by Graham Harrison
http://www.sabretravelnetwork.com/home/news_events/media_statement_sabre_act
ions_regarding_american_airlines/
What I fail to fully comprehend from the statement is whether this is the
GDS element of Sabre speaking or the hosting element. I think it's the GDS
but I don't find it 100% clear.
Reading that web site, it appears that it is mostly the GDS side of the
business. They are unhappy that AA isn't giving them full fare information.

What is REALLY not clear is what sort of action they are taking.

##
Sabre is taking actions to protect its interests and those of its
customers by supporting airlines who value the transparency and
efficiency of the proven system we provide.
##

Does this mean they will just giove AA flights lowest priority in
listings ? Or is this just a PR announcement without any meaningful
actions against AA ?
John Levine
2011-01-06 16:42:48 UTC
Post by Graham Harrison
What I fail to fully comprehend from the statement is whether this is the
GDS element of Sabre speaking or the hosting element. I think it's the GDS
but I don't find it 100% clear.
It's the GDS. See this article in Business Travel News:

http://www.businesstravelnews.com/Business-Travel/Travel-Management/Articles/Sabre-Moves-Against-American-Airlines/

R's,
John
JF Mezei
2011-01-11 21:08:26 UTC
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/American-Airlines-Statement-prnews-3768905271.html?x=0&.v=1

American Airlines is suing Sabre for the biased listing of AA flights,
and has obtained an injunction to force Sabre to remove this biase until
the court case has drawn to conclusion.

Interesting that AA wants to change contracts by forcing GDSs to pay AA
for new services, but the GDSs aren't allowed to change their side of
the contract.

Is AA pissing into the wind with the other airlines laughing ? Or are
the other airlines monitoring if AA will be able to avoid any splashback
and if so, they'll all jump into the same bandwagon ?
Jeff Hacker
2011-01-13 02:53:24 UTC
Post by JF Mezei
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/American-Airlines-Statement-prnews-3768905271.html?x=0&.v=1
American Airlines is suing Sabre for the biased listing of AA flights,
and has obtained an injunction to force Sabre to remove this biase until
the court case has drawn to conclusion.
Interesting that AA wants to change contracts by forcing GDSs to pay AA
for new services, but the GDSs aren't allowed to change their side of
the contract.
Is AA pissing into the wind with the other airlines laughing ? Or are
the other airlines monitoring if AA will be able to avoid any splashback
and if so, they'll all jump into the same bandwagon ?
The latter. Let AA be the bAAd guys, and then jump on the bandwagon.
Miles Bader
2011-01-13 03:02:51 UTC
JF Mezei
2011-01-13 14:36:28 UTC
Post by Miles Bader
And I'm not quite what to think from my consumer's point of view... the
current airline ticket industry/scam is surely dysfunctional and
annoying, but what AA's doing would seem to make it _worse_.
What is annoying is the airline's move to unbundle the flights so they
can advertise a lower base price and then give you option to buy back
all those items that they removed from the base price (air, use of
toilet, reclicing seat, window shade, access to overhead bin, checked
luggage, meal, access to a special telephone number should your flight
be cancelled (air canada charges $15 for that). We can thank Ryannair
for all those silly ideas :-)

Once you go that lane, it becomes hard to codify all those options for a
GDS system.

the GDS industry is faced with a decision on whether to fight for simple
airfares, or adopt the unbundled pricing and, as an industry provide a
standard interface for all the optional extras that an airline wishes to
sell and tell the airlines to adapt to that standard.

Right now, AA wants to have its own proprietary interface that GDS have
to adapt to, and other airlines are likely to have their own. It would
make sense for the GDS industry to develop a standard and impose it on
all airlines. They can hire Michael O'Leary to give then a list of
possible options when purchasing a ticket. With that list, they can
pretty much support any type of crazy fare structure.

At the end of the day, Southwest will become a luxury full service
airline compared to what the legacy carriers are becoming.
Graham Harrison
2011-01-13 14:23:51 UTC