Airbus makes a A380 sale !
JF Mezei
2011-10-29 23:36:40 UTC
http://www.airbus.com/presscentre/pressreleases/press-release-detail/detail/transaero-airlines-commits-to-four-a380s/

28 October 2011 Press Release

Transaero Airlines, Russia’s second largest airline, signed a Memorandum
of Understanding (MoU) with Airbus for four A380 aircraft.

What is significant about this sale is that their intentions is to
configure this as 3 class with 700 passengers. (Most other A380s seem
configured for about 500 pax).

The A380 is now at 236 orders from 18 customers, with 59 aircraft delivered.

When I was at Sydney a few months ago, I would see A380s in the sky
during the day, and at the airport, I got to see emirates, qantas and
singapore's A380. They seemed to be very common there. (Montreal gets
Air France 380 these days as well).

If Airbus sells about 10 per year, it should reach the original break
even point of 250 sales in 2 years. But considering break even is
rumoured to be at about 400, they won't reach that one anytime soon.

Big question is whether Airbus would be able to justify an formal
upgrade to the A380 to make it more palatable, or whether the program is
financially limited to production tweaks of the current model

Considering the developments made for the 350, could Airbus transfer
some technologies over to the A380 as "tweaks" instead of creating a new
model ?

For instance, replace aluminium skin panels with composite ones ? Or
would that require a costly aircraft certification campaign ? (or would
such replacements not provide any sigificant weight savings ?)
--
misc.travel.air-industry is a moderated newsgroup. Please mail messages to
***@airinfo.aero, and see http://mtai.airinfo.aero for the FAQ and policies.
matt weber
2011-10-30 17:43:58 UTC
On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 19:36:40 -0400, JF Mezei
Post by JF Mezei
http://www.airbus.com/presscentre/pressreleases/press-release-detail/detail/transaero-airlines-commits-to-four-a380s/
28 October 2011 Press Release
Transaero Airlines, Russia’s second largest airline, signed a Memorandum
of Understanding (MoU) with Airbus for four A380 aircraft.
What is significant about this sale is that their intentions is to
configure this as 3 class with 700 passengers. (Most other A380s seem
configured for about 500 pax).
All that it really says is the Transaero doesn't plan to deploy the
aircraft on any ultra-long haul services. Believe me, if you could
put more seats in the aircraft and still fly missions like LAX-SYD
they would, but when you work the numbers, you discover that on the
LAX-SYD run, they passengers & Baggage represent just about all of the
lift capacity available.

This is in part due to the fact that aircraft is significantly
overweight, although that probably only costs about 50 seats.
Post by JF Mezei
The A380 is now at 236 orders from 18 customers, with 59 aircraft delivered.
When I was at Sydney a few months ago, I would see A380s in the sky
during the day, and at the airport, I got to see emirates, qantas and
singapore's A380. They seemed to be very common there. (Montreal gets
Air France 380 these days as well).
If Airbus sells about 10 per year, it should reach the original break
even point of 250 sales in 2 years. But considering break even is
rumoured to be at about 400, they won't reach that one anytime soon.
Big question is whether Airbus would be able to justify an formal
upgrade to the A380 to make it more palatable, or whether the program is
financially limited to production tweaks of the current model
The reality is the design will need to be refreshed long before they
reach Break Even. The A380 is an attractive aircraft only if you are
dealing with a slot constrained airport at one end or the other.
Otherwise a 777-300ER has lower ASM costs.

Consequently the market for the A380 is surprising limited, and likely
to become even more limited as the A350 and 787 make flying between
secondary points economically viable.

My own belief is the A380 program will break even on the 21st of
Never.
Post by JF Mezei
Considering the developments made for the 350, could Airbus transfer
some technologies over to the A380 as "tweaks" instead of creating a new
model ?
For instance, replace aluminium skin panels with composite ones ? Or
would that require a costly aircraft certification campaign ? (or would
such replacements not provide any sigificant weight savings ?)
I suspect that there would be significant weight savings, but from a
certification stand point, that would probably put you back to square
zero, and the Non-recurring engineering costs would probably come to
10 figures.

I'd view re-enginging the A380 as a more realistic approach to
improving the ASM costs. That's relatively cheap compared to most of
the other options. However with the limited production run the A380 is
likely to have, and split between two engine makers, I can't see a lot
of enthusiasm on the part of either RR or Engine Alliance to spend a
lot of R&D money on a new A380 engine.
Cees Binkhorst
2011-10-30 15:39:09 UTC
Hi,

FlightGobal reported in 2009:
"Reunion-based carrier Air Austral is expected to take delivery of its
all-economy Airbus A380s in 2014.
The carrier has signed a memorandum of understanding to acquire two of
the type, which will be configured with around 840 seats."

In 2014 RR will have finished the optimalization of its engine and this
together with optimalizations from Airbus will extend the range of the A380.

At the time I made some 'back of the envelope' calculations that showed
Air Austral will have to make the choice of lowering the ticketprice
with 40% or make 60% more profit (or any variation in between).

They will use the A380 for the route Paris-Reunion (and most likely
Reunion-New Caledonian).

Transaero Airlines wil have a similar, but lower, margin for their
ticketprice.

Regards / Cees